ADEPT: Assisting, Developing, and Evaluating Professional Teaching
(updated September 2020)
The Expanded ADEPT Support and Evaluation System for Classroom-Based Teachers is designed to continuously develop educators at all performance levels through an evaluation system that is valid, reliable, and fair and that produces actionable and constructive feedback to support professional growth. To view the Expanded ADEPT System guidelines, click here
To view the district’s 2020-2021 ADEPT Plan: See Below
As part of the Expanded ADEPT system, South Carolina Teaching Standards (SCTS) 4.0 is South Carolina’s primary formal evaluation model for classroom-based teachers. The SCTS 4.0 rubric is based on sets of performance standards designed and validated by the National Institute for Excellence in Teaching (NIET) and establishes the expectations for what classroom-based teachers are to know and carry out as an integral part of their practice. These expectations, called the SCTS Indicators, are the foundation for good teaching and are designed to grow classroom-based teachers throughout their career continuum, beginning with teacher preparation and continuing through Induction, high-stakes performance evaluations, and ongoing professional growth and development that supports the growth of South Carolina educators. A classroom-based teacher’s proficiency in each of the standards is expected to occur developmentally and to increase continuously throughout the entirety of the teaching career.
The SCTS 4.0 rubric is not used to evaluate special area personnel, including library media specialists, school guidance counselors, and speech-language pathologists. They will continue to be evaluated under the existing 2006 ADEPT guidelines. The SCTS 4.0 handbook can be viewed in the attachments below.
2020-2021 Evaluation Guidance Chart - See Below
Forms and Resources for the South Carolina Teaching Standards (SCTS) can be viewed by clicking here. Please note that CCSD has its own SLO Scoring Rubric/Business Rules and does not use the state’s rubric that is located on the state’s web page. Our district’s SLO Template and Scoring Rubric can be viewed in the attachments below.
Induction and Annual Formative Evaluation
New teachers to the profession and from out of state receive assistance during this stage that is designed to promote their successful transition into professional practice and prepare them for summative evaluation during the next phase. To view the South Carolina’s Induction & Mentoring Implementation Guidelines click here
To view CCSD’s Induction & Mentoring Guidelines - See Below
- Induction/AF Timeline - See Below (Composite Calendar)
- Induction/AF Observation of other teachers - See Below
- Mentor Contact Log - See Below
SCTSs 4.0 is the evaluation tool used for classroom-based teachers undergoing Summative Evaluation.
Summative Evaluation Timeline – See Below (Composite Calendar)
Resources and forms click here
Student Learning Objective/Goal Based Evaluation (SLO/GBE)
The GBE is now incorporated into the SLO for classroom-based teachers. Special area educators or teachers that teach less than 6 students will complete the GBE form - See Below
- SLO/GBE Timeline – See Below (Composite Calendar)
- CCSD SLO Scoring Rubric/Business rules – See Below
- Simplified SLO Template - See Below
Library Media Specialist
- LMS Timeline - See Below
- Forms and LMS info: click here
- GBE for beginning LMS - See Below
- SLP Timeline - See Below
- Forms and SLP info: click here
- GBE for beginning SLP - See Below
School Guidance Counselor
- SGC Timeline - see below
- Forms and SGC info: click here
- GBE for beginning SGC - See Below
Competence-Building Professional Growth & Development Plans
Competence-building professional growth and development plans are appropriate for use with induction-contract teachers as well as with annual-contract teachers who are receiving diagnostic assistance. Competence-building professional growth and development plans may also be appropriate for teachers who are undergoing formal evaluation and for teachers and for teachers who are participating in goals-based evaluation (GBE) when performance weaknesses have been identified. Competence-building templates for classroom-based teachers, school guidance counselors, speech-language pathologists, and library media specialists can be found at: click here
Certification and Renewal of Certificate
To view your certification status or questions concerning certification, click here
For questions concerning the renewal process, click here and see the following information below:
- Certificate Renewal Plan - See Below
- Option Forms - See Below
- Request for change/action form (submit this form to SCDE except for items 1 (update contact information) and 5 (renew professional certificate). These requests are handled at the district level and should be sent to the Office of Educator Effectiveness click here
- Computation worksheet - click here
Jason Flatt Act
The state requires educators working in a public middle or high school to satisfy the Jason Flatt Act requirements before the Professional Certificate can be renewed. However, our district requires all educators to complete the Jason Flatt Act training.
Please see these forms below:
- Letter to CCSD educators
- Log-in instructions
- Option 6 for Jason Flatt (for educators with professional certificates)
Darkness to Light - Sexual Abuse Training
The district offers this training free of charge in February of each year. If you are unable to attend the free in-house training offered by the district, you can complete the training online at click here
- Choose: get trained online, create an account , enter your information, and create a password.
- Since our district does not have a unique custom link, you will need to register individually and pay the $10 charge for taking the Stewards of Children - D2L training.
- Once the training is complete, you will receive an email from Darkness to Light with a link to print your certificate. Please send the Office of Educator Effectiveness a copy of your D2L/Stewards of Children certificate of completion for your file.
National Board Certification
For information regarding NBC recertification, go to: click here