The following teachers were nominated to represent their schools:
• Cheraw Primary- Mary Jane Evans
• Cheraw Intermediate-Michelle Stroud
• Long Middle School-Allison Chapman
• Cheraw High School-Sharon Johnson
• Edwards Elementary- Meghan Geer
• Chesterfield Ruby Middle School-Jennifer Crawford
• Chesterfield High School-Bethany Lee
• Plainview Elementary-Sharon Griggs
• Ruby Elementary-Dana Alexander
• McBee Elementary -Shauna Newell
• McBee High School-Melissa Hicks
• Petersburg Primary-Nancy Plyler
• Pageland Elementary School-Susan Toole
• New Heights Middle School-Anne Mueller
• Central High School-John Folger
• Jefferson Elementary-Nancy Haigler
After a selection process which included interviews by outside experts, Dana Alexander will represent Chesterfield County as the Distinguished Reading Teacher and her nomination will be sent to the Pee Dee Reading Council.
Dana is a third grade teacher at Ruby Elementary. Dana has over 30 years experience in education with most of her time spent at Ruby Elementary. She enjoys working in her yard and spending time with her husband and son. Her family has a small farm and they train labs for duck hunting. She is an avid reader and often reads professional books related to literacy. Beth Suggs, the principal of Ruby Elementary, remarked, When thinking of a distinguished reading teacher, my thoughts begin with a teacher who is able to teach the whole child, a teacher who fosters balanced literacy, yet she knows the “balance” must come from the unique needs of her learners…When you walk into her classroom, you hear conversations, reading, and laughter. You see children immersed in text through reader/writer’s workshop and independent reading. And you are sure, learning and student growth is taking place!
Please congratulate all of these teachers on this accomplishment! They are all wonderful examples of Distinguished Reading Teachers and are outstanding representatives for their schools and the district.
Click for larger image